- The spreadsheet detailing all of the changes has been added at the end of this post.
- The number of the Mimico GO shuttle has been corrected to 176.
- Transfer arrangements at Queen & Dufferin for the 501 bus and streetcar services have been clarified.
- Transfer arrangements at Queen & Roncesvalles for the 501 and 504 bus services have been added.
Updated September 5, 2022:
- The spreadsheet listing all of the changes has been corrected for route 504 King. The original version included a description of the route carried over from the August version. This has been changed to reflect the September arrangements.
The TTC will make many changes to its scheduled service on September 4, 2022 with restorations of previous service levels on many routes. This will not get the system back to 100% of pre-pandemic levels.
An important distinction is between three values:
- The amount of service scheduled before Spring 2020
- The amount of service budgeted for 2022
- The amount of service scheduled for 2022
The TTC plans to be back to 97% of budgeted service for bus, 84% for streetcar and 92% for subway. The overall numbers are compared below.
|January 2020 Scheduled||185,825||7,068||192,893|
|September 2022 Budgeted||186,379||6,398||192,777|
|September 2022 Scheduled||177,930||4,965||182,895|
In the original 2022 service budget, the TTC planned to be back to roughly the same level of service as in January 2020 by September 2022. However, slower ridership recovery coupled with staffing constraints produced a lower scheduled service expressed as hours/week.
There are further caveats:
- The distribution of hours by time of day might not be the same in 2022 as in 2020 because of changing demand patterns.
- Changes in running times to deal with congestion or service reliability can mean that the same service hours are stretched over wider headways. Not all vehicle hours are created equal.
All that said, there are many changes in service levels, and with the bus network being back to 97%, the schedules for September 2022 are often based on old versions before service cuts were implemented. Another change for this month is the reintroduction of school trips on many routes.Continue reading