The TTC will modify many routes on January 8, 2023, although most of the changes are small tweaks rather than a significant overhaul of service. Current changes are achieved mainly by reallocation of vehicles, modification of running times and headway adjustments.
Updated January 3, 2023 at 4:35pm: A table showing the number of replacement buses on streetcar routes has been added.
In the January schedule period, the planned weekly service is down from November 2022 levels. That is the appropriate comparison because the “December” schedules only cover the holiday period when service is reduced. All of these reductions have been reversed in the January schedules, and some school trips have been added beyond the November level.
Service in the latter part of 2022 ran below budget because riding had not rebounded as quickly as originally hoped across the system. January 2023 continues at a similar level, and a service budget has not yet been published, let alone approved.
|Hours/Week||Regular Service||Construction Service||Total|
|Nov 2022 Budget||182,016||4,492||186,508|
|Nov 2022 Planned||173,249||4,187||177,436|
|Dec 2022 Planned||170,708||3,779||174,387|
|Jan 2023 Planned||171,802||5,175||176,977|
There is no change in subway service for January 2023.
506 Carlton will return to its normal route over its entire length after an extended sojourn on Dundas Street. The 306 night service will return to streetcar operation. Construction of streetscape changes on College Street is not yet complete, but this will not require a diversion in 2023.
Some streetcar routes will have new schedules:
- 509 Harbourfront and 510 Spadina will be modified to reduce layover conflicts at Union and Spadina Stations.
- Service on 509 Harbourfront will be reduced to match demand in some periods.
- Sunday early evening service on 510 Spadina will be changed so that all cars operate as 510A to Union rather than a split service with 510B turning back at Queens Quay. This matches the Saturday service pattern.
- 512 St. Clair service will be reduced to match demand during some periods.
The allocation of routes to carhouses will change slightly to balance resources. The table below includes a long absent route “507 Long Branch” and the temporarily suspended “508 Lake Shore”, but not the “502 Downtowner”. Make of that what you will.
The number of buses operating on streetcar routes for construction projects is shown in the table below.
Due to construction for the Ontario Line’s Exhibition Station, the 29 and 329 Dufferin services will be rerouted as shown in the maps below.
43B Kennedy and 985A Sheppard STC Services
These routes will be modified to access Scarborough Town Centre via a different path in order to provide connecting stops with the temporary GO bus terminal.
95C York Mills and 996 Wilson Express Service to Ellesmere Station
The 95C York Mils branch will be dropped, and in its place the 996 Wilson Express will be extended east to Ellesmere Station.
The levels of service in the “before” and “after” configurations are compared below.
|Buses/Hour||AM Pk Pre||AM Pk Post||Midday Pre||Midday Post||PM Pk Pre||PM Pk Post|
|95A Pt Union||7.5||6||3.3||6||5.5||6|
|95C Ellesmere Stn||7.5||3.3||5.5|
|996 Ellesmere Stn||6.7||4.8||6|
|Total to Ellesmere Stn||20.5||17.7||10.4||14.6||16.5||17|
|Total to UTSC||13||11||7.1||10.8||11||11|
Other affected bus routes
- 600 Run As Directed: The number of scheduled RAD buses is deeply reduced with only 6 weekday crews and none on weekends. Divisions will assign buses locally depending on operator availability.
- 19 Bay: An AM peak tripper to handle demand to the waterfront will be created by diverting one 503 Kingston Road bus to run eastbound as a Bay bus to Dockside Drive and Queens Quay, then deadhead to Broadview and Queen to resume service on the 503.
- 20 Cliffside and 113 Danforth: Headways will be standardized so that an evenly blended service can operate from Main Station on these overlapped routes.
- 25 Don Mills: The split branch structure north and south of Don Mills Station will be extended into the early evening on weekdays.
- 925 Don Mills Express: Trips added during peak periods to match demand.
- 939 Finch Express: Midday and PM peak service improved, evening service reduced.
- 41 Keele: Service reduced to match demand.
- 44/944 Kipling South: Some early express trips will be replaced with local buses. Two school trips from 44 Kipling South will interline with 76 Royal York South school trips.
- 945 Kipling Express: AM peak service improved.
- 48 Rathburn and 112 West Mall: PM school trips serving Michael Power Saint Joseph HS will be changed to match dismissal times.
- 52 Lawrence West: A new trip will be added from Westwood Mall at 6:52am to accommodate demand. A new trip will be added between Lawrence and Lawrence West Stations in the early PM peak. This is a hook-up with an existing school trip.
- 57 Midland: Service reductions to match demand.
- 60C/960 Steeles West: Service between Pioneer Village Station and Kipling on the 60C branch will be reduced in peak periods to match demand. This will be offset by improvement to the express service.
- 960 Steeles West Express: Early evening service reduced.
- 63 Ossington: Service modified for resiliency and to match demand (mainly reductions).
- 68/968 Warden: Schedules adjusted for reliability with less frequent service during many periods.
- 79 Scarlett Road: Service reduction weekdays in peak and midday periods.
- 86 Scarborough: Zoo shuttle will operate only on Saturday to serve Terra Lumina. Sunday service dropped.
- 95/995 York Mills an 96/996 Wilson: 996 Express service extended to Ellesmere Station replacing the 95C local service (see map above). Service changes during many periods to improve reliability with a mix of frequency changes.
- 102/902 Markham Road: New trips to serve school demand to R.H. King Academy and Centennial College.
- 116 Morningside: New PM school trips from Morningside & Ellesmere to serve Jack Milner PS and Sir Wilfrid Laurier CI.
- 122 Graydon Hall: All trips will now enter service eastbound at Don Mills.
- 130 Middlefield: New school trips to serve Henry Kelsey Senior PS.
- 165 Weston Road: Service reliability changes primarily through longer running times and additional buses.
- 168 Symington: Service reduced to match demand.
Peak bus service
Details of these changes are in the spreadsheet linked below.
TTC Service Changes 2023.01.08 (Revised)