The May 2018 service changes bring:
- Addition of two AM peak “gap trains” on 1 Yonge-University-Spadina and other operational improvements.
- An update to the schedules for service on the King Street Pilot to reflect the improved travel time on the street and to reduce vehicle queues at terminals.
- Changes to all routes serving Main Station during construction that will close the loop to transit vehicles.
- Diversions of the Parliament and Carlton routes around track construction at Gerrard & Parliament.
- Changes to Don Mills bus schedules to reflect actual operating conditions and Crosstown construction effects.
- Seasonal changes to reflect declining ridership to post-secondary institutions during the summer.
- Summer improvements including extension of 121 Fort York Esplanade to Cherry Beach during all operating periods, improved weekend service on 92 Woodbine South, and later service to the Zoo.
- There is a new summer route 175 Bluffers Park on weekends between Kennedy Station and the park’s parking lot.
- Service cuts and running time reductions on 6 Bay.
- Weekend reliability improvements on 96 Wilson and 165 Weston Road North.
- Weekday reliability improvements on 199 Finch Rocket.
Here are the highlights:
Two “gap trains” will be added to the morning peak schedule to provide additional service as needed southbound on Yonge. One train will be stationed in Eglinton pocket track, and the other on the hostler track at Davisville.
Trains leaving service in the evening to Wilson Yard will now do so southbound from Vaughan rather than northbound at Wilson. This avoids conflicts between the yard movements and southbound service.
King Street Pilot
Running times on 504 King will be reduced during almost all operating periods, and the saving will be converted into slightly shorter scheduled headways with no change in total vehicles. The four peak period ALRV trippers will be replaced by six CLRV trippers. Flexity cars will now be formally scheduled to cover part of the service with priority going to runs that stay out all day.
514 Cherry service will be improved during the AM peak, weekday early evening, Saturday afternoon and Saturday early evening periods by the addition of one or more cars.
Peak period crewing practices will be changed to step back operation to reduce terminal delays.
Main Station Loop will be closed until September 2018 for construction. During this time routes serving the station will be reorganized:
- 20 Cliffside and 62 Mortimer will be interlined as a single route from Broadview to Kennedy Station.
- 23 Dawes will be extended west to Woodbine Station.
- 64 Main will be extended north to Eastdale.
- 87 Cosburn will loop on street via Danforth and Chisholm.
- 113 Danforth and 135 Gerrard will be cut back from Main to Victoria Park Station.
- 506 Carlton will be extended east to Victoria Park Station via Gerrard covering the mileage of the shortened 135 Gerrard route.
Parliament & Gerrard
During the reconstruction of this intersection, buses will divert:
- 65 Parliament will divert via Sherbourne between Dundas and Carlton.
- 506 Carlton will divert via Dundas between Sherbourne and River.
Service on 6 Bay will be reduced by the elimination of one or two buses during most operating periods, and headways will be widened as a result.
This route suffers from excessive running time as shown in a previous analysis I published, and I will be updating this with current data in May.