The City of Toronto, TTC and Metrolinx will be undertaking
four five major projects in the east end through the spring, summer and fall:
- Sewer work, track and road reconstruction on Broadview Avenue from north of Gerrard to Danforth. This will include expansion of the streetcar loop at Broadview Station to relieve queuing on Broadview by streetcars waiting to enter.
- Water main and track replacement at Lower Gerrard & Coxwell.
- Paving work at Main Station.
- Rail overpass construction for the Ontario Line at Queen and Degrassi.
- Repair of the Queen Street bridge at the Don River.
This will result in major changes to streetcar and bus routes.
Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to stand on any street corner in the east end and explain to confused strangers where their streetcar or bus might be operating today.
Updated April 17, 2023 at 5:50am: A reader has pointed out a route change that appears on some of the maps in the Main Station presentation deck but which has not been announced anywhere else. The TTC proposes to extend the 8 Broadview east to Warden Station apparently replacing that branch of 70 O’Connor.
Updated April 28, 2023 at 7:40am: A link has been added to a second TTC Main Station page which speaks only of the changes effective May 7, and to the TTC’s Broadview Construction page.Continue reading