Updated July 24, 2011 at 11:00 pm: Links to archival photos of Roncesvalles Avenue from the City Archives have been added to the end of this article.
Apologies to those who expected to find the PCCs running on Ronces. In turned out that one car had already been hired out for another event, and the second PCC was in the shop for repairs. Two CLRVs don’t have quite the same effect.
Original post from July 18:
To celebrate the return of streetcars to Roncesvalles Avenue, the local BIA (Business Improvement Area) will host a special event on Saturday, July 23.
At about 10:15 am, there will be a ribbon cutting ceremony opposite the library at Roncesvalles and Wright, and until 4:00 pm, PCCs will operate on Roncesvalles as a free service. (Regular transit vehicles, which may well still be the 504 shuttle bus, will charge fares.)
Scheduled King streetcar service returns to Roncesvalles Avenue on Sunday, July 31. The celebration is taking place a week early to avoid conflicts with both the Simcoe Day holiday weekend and the Caribbean Festival.
[Ronces logo borrowed from Roncesvalles Village Facebook page.]
Updated July 24:
Here are links to photos of Roncesvalles Avenue. All images are from the City of Toronto Archives.
Looking north on Roncesvalles from King Street (Dec 10, 1909). The original Roncesvalles carhouse is on the west side ofRoncesvalles a bit north of the intersection.
Looking south on Roncesvalles to Queen Street (Dec 10, 1909). The hotel on the southeast corner is clearly visible behind the vacant lot on the east side of Ronces. The track leads to the original carhouse run off to the west side of the street.
Sunnyside & Roncesvalles (1915). This view shows the original arrangement of tracks at Sunnyside and the bridge that carried streetcars down to Lake Shore Blvd. That branch of the intersection is roughly where the pedestrian bridge over the Gardiner Expressway is today.
Looking west along Queen to Roncesvalles (1922) showing the “Sea View Hotel”.
The often-published view of Queen & Roncesvalles from April 24, 1923 showing the reconstruction by he TTC. The view looks northeast from the lead to Lake Shore Blvd. that no longer exists.
The original Roncesvalles Carhouse stood north of Queen Street on the west side (April 1923).
Looking south across the site for the new Roncesvalles Carhouse (June 1923) with the Toronto Railway Company’s old yard for the first carhouse in the distance.
Queen & Roncesvalles (1927) showing the access bridge to Lake Shore Blvd.
Roncesvalles and Grafton looking south (1919) showing the decrepit condition of Toronto Railway Company track. This track had been installed only a decade earlier when the line opened in 1909.
Looking west from Roncesvalles along Pearson (1916). The houses are still there, but the trees are a big bigger. Oddly enough, the Google Street View was taken just as track construction was beginning a few years ago.
Looking southeast at Howard Park & Roncesvalles (February 1924).
Bus garage adjacent to Dundas Carhouse on Howard Park east of Roncesvalles, north side (1923).
Dundas Carhouse (1931) looking southwest from Ritchie Street. The carhouse was not used as an operating division after 1931, but was a storage site for old cars as they were replaced by PCCs beginning in the late 1930s.
Dundas & Roncesvalles looking south (1912), and another view looking north. Note that there was originally a set of tracks allowing cars to turn between Dundas and Roncesvalles across the front of the Merchants Bank building which is now a Starbucks.
Queen Street looking west near Sunnyside Loop (1933). The Queen Street extension didn’t exist yet, and Queen street’s trackage ended at Sunnyside Loop just beyond the carhouse fence and under the large billboard.
Looking east on The Queensway to Roncesvalles (1959). The hotel on the southeast corner is almost invisible under billboards, and the Gray Coach terminal, looking somewhat like its original design, sits on the northwest corner. Sunnyside CNR station is on the south side of King roughly where the Polish war memorial park is located today.