150 Years of Toronto Union Stations: 1858-2008

An Illustrated Lecture and Presentation by Derek Boles
Monday, June 23, 2008, 7 p.m.
Toronto Reference Library
1 block north of Yonge & Bloor

Toronto Union Station is one of the city’s most beloved heritage buildings and architectural treasures.  Toronto’s first Union Station opened on June 21, 1858.  This was replaced in 1873 by what was considered the most opulent railway station in Canada.  That building was considerably expanded in the 1890s and replaced by the present Union Station in 1927.  The City of Toronto purchased the station from the railways in 2000 and has embarked on a $400 million restoration and revitalization of this National Historic Site.  Using over 225 images and specially prepared animations, this presentation will provide an illustrated history of these buildings and other downtown railway stations in commemoration of the sesquicentennial of Toronto Union Station.

Derek Boles is one of the founding members of the Toronto Railway Historical Association and has written and lectured extensively on Toronto’s railway heritage.  He coordinates the annual Doors Open event at Union Station and leads popular monthly tours of the station, which have attracted almost 1,500 people since they began in 2006.  Derek has just finished writing a book on the history of the Canadian Pacific Railway’s North Toronto Station.  He serves on the board of Heritage Toronto and is the vice chair of the Union Station Revitalization Public Advisory Group.

This event is co-sponsored by the Toronto Railway Historical Association, Heritage Toronto and the Toronto Public Library. 

More information on the history of the 1858 Union Station