Updated February 28, 2015: The domain stevemunro.ca now points to the site hosted at WordPress and is synonymous with swanboatsteve.wordpress.com.
Updated February 17, 2015: All articles and attachments from the old site have now been migrated here.
Starting on January 1, 2015, all of my new content will appear here.
For a period of time (likely until March 2015) “stevemunro.ca” will take you to my original site where articles are still active with comments. Given the number of hotlinks to recent activity, I am leaving those articles in their original locations.
Access to the new site will use the URL swanboatsteve.wordpress.com until February 28, 2015.
When the migration is completed and activity on the old site dies off, I will switch my domain to point to the new site and it will be accessible either via the WordPress domain name or using stevemunro.ca.
With the new site comes a new naming convention for posts and attachments. This is unavoidable. There will be different effects depending on the status of the migration.
- Before the domain name is cut over, references to posts and attachments on the old domain will resolve there and display normally.
- A copy of all content from the old domain from its inception in 2006 up to the end of 2014 will be available on the new site (this is a work in progress with only some attachments from 2008 and earlier remaining to be fixed).
- During the migration, some of the hotlinks to attachments are not automatically updated, and they still point back to the old site. From a user’s point of view, this is transparent, but from mine, it is a cleanup job that will progress as I work through the articles.
- There is an Archive Directory Page containing the post identifiers used on the old site along with their titles. Each entry is hotlinked to the version of the article on the new site.
- All articles for 2014 have now been migrated to the new site.
- After the domain stevemunro.ca is repointed to the site at wordpress.com, links to content in the “old” format may not work because of the file structure on the new site. WordPress appears to be handling the mapping to the new naming structure, but I am not sure that this is uniform for all articles.
- Hotlinks using the old convention of “stevemunro.ca/?p=nnn” (where “nnn”) is the post id will fail on a “404” error. There is a hotlink from the main page to the Archive Directory to assist readers who come in with an old link.
- Hotlinks to attachments using the old convention of “stevemunro.ca/wp-content/uploads/…” will fail. Sorry.
- These problems will inevitably affect search engines such as Google that will still be pointing to the old content until they “discover” the new site and update the links.
If you have problems on the new site, please leave a comment here and I will try to rectify the situation.
If you’re looking for the link to RSS feeds for individual articles, they won’t appear automatically. However, it’s easy to build a URL for the feed: just take the article name and add the word “feed” at the end. For example, for this article:
Thanks to everyone for putting up with the disruption this will cause. My site is coming up to its 9th birthday at the end of January, and needs to sit on a more robust service provider than I have been using since the inception.