The December schedules bring the opening of the Spadina subway extension to Vaughan Metropolitan Centre Station and a major reorganization of bus routes along the subway corridor.
Bus routes will be reorganized to serve the subway stations, and in some cases services will be split at the subway corridor. The map below is taken from the TTC’s project page for the line.
Services north of Steeles Avenue that were formerly operated by the TTC on behalf of York Region under contract will now be run by their own transit agency. Fares on the subway have yet to be integrated with YRT, and so a TTC fare will apply to subway journeys while a local YRT fare will apply to the bus feeder network. This is the subject of ongoing discussion, and as usual the issue is who will pay to subsidize a lower co-fare between the two agencies.
The subway will continue the same hours of service it now provides, and the new first/last train times are shown in the table below.
The first train of the day inbound from Vaughan will be at about 5:50 am except on Sundays when service begins at 7:50.
The late night schedule is driven by the long-standing meet at Bloor-Yonge between outbound trains to Finch, Kennedy and Kipling stations at 1:54 am. The last inbound train from Vaughan will leave just after 1 am, and the last outbound train will arrive at about 2:30.
Service on the bus routes affected by the subway is generally at levels similar to what operates today with only a few exceptions.
York Region Transit will take over service north of Steeles Avenue now provided by the following routes:
- 35 Jane
- 105 Dufferin North
- 107 Keele North
- 165 Weston Road North
- 35 Jane and 195 Jane Rocket: Extended to Pioneer Village Station (Steeles).
- 36 Finch West: Route split at Finch West Station (Keele & Finch) during most operating periods. Peak service west of Keele Street improved. Service east of Keele will be reduced in many periods recognizing that many riders will not ride east of the station.
- 41 Keele: Local service extended to Pioneer Village Station. Express service terminated at Finch West Station.
- 60 Steeles West: Service reorganized to focus on Pioneer Village Station rather than York University.
- 84 Sheppard West: Peak period Oakdale service extended to Pioneer Village Station. 84E express from Yonge to Sheppard West Station replaces 196B York University Rocket.
- 106 Sentinel: Formerly named 106 York University. Extended to Pioneer Village Station.
- 107 St. Regis: Formerly named 107 Keele North. York U service rerouted and extended to Pioneer Village Station.
- 108 Driftwood: Formerly named 108 Downsview. Extended to Pioneer Village Station.
- 117 Alness-Chesswood: Formerly named 117 Alness. Rerouted to better serve the area west of Dufferin Street.
- 196 York U Rocket: Replaced by the subway extension.
- 199 Finch Rocket: York U branch cut back to Finch West Station.
Night service will be provided to the York U ring road by 335 Jane, 341 Keele and 353 Steeles. The 336 Finch bus will not serve Finch West Station.
Holiday Period Service
The summary of the schedule changes linked at the top of this article includes a page outlining the service to be provided through the December-January holidays. The highlights are:
- Service on many surface routes and on Line 2 Bloor-Danforth will operate with summer schedules from Monday, December 18 to Friday, January 5. Extra school trips will not operate.
- Christmas and New Year’s Days will operate with Sunday service including the 8:00 am opening time for the subway.
- New Year’s Eve service will be extended on many routes until roughly 4:00 am with extra service on the subway.
- Regular service resume on Monday, January 8, 2018.
New Year’s Eve services include:
- Service is expected to operate free after 7:00 pm as in past years, but the details have not yet been announced.
- The last train meet at Bloor-Yonge for outbound service will occur at 3:37 am rather than the usual 1:54 am. The last trains on 4 Sheppard and 3 SRT will wait for the last trains on 1 Yonge and 2 Bloor-Danforth respectively.
- 501 Queen will divert via Church, King and Spadina after 11:00 pm for festivities at City Hall.
- 509 Harbourfront will have extra service every 9 minutes until 2:00 am and every 15 minutes thereafter.
- 510/310 Spadina will have extra service every 6 minutes until 1:30 am, every 8 minutes until 3:00 and every 12 minutes thereafter.
- Gap and standby buses will be provided downtown and at other locations to provide extra service as needed.
- Contract service outside of Toronto on 52 Lawrence West, 129 McCowan North and 68 Warden will be extended to 4:00 am. Service on 160 Bathurst North, 17 Birchmount and 102 Markham Rd will end at the usual time.