In the midst of the huge pile of comments I have received (with thanks to the Toronto Star for linking this site to their article), we need to look at just whose vote landed on which side of the debate earlier this week.
On the motion to defer consideration of new taxes until the October Council meeting:
TTC Commissioners in favour:
- Suzan Hall (Etobicoke North)
- Peter Milczyn (Etobicoke Lakeshore)
- Anthony Perruzza (York West)
- Bill Saundercook (Parkdale-High Park)
- Michael Thompson (Scarborough Centre)
TTC Commissioners opposed:
- Sandra Bussin (Beaches- East York)
- Glenn De Baeremaeker (Scarborough Centre)
- Adam Giambrone (Davenport)
- Joe Mihevc (St. Paul’s)
This means that there is a majority of the Commission who were behind the deferral at Council and in whose hands rests the fate of the TTC’s service. The weak vote, I am sure, is Anthony Perruzza, a junior member nominally one of Miller’s camp, but who jumped ship on the vote at Council.
When I report on the events at the emergency TTC meeting, I will include the voting pattern.
I can think of a few wards where service cuts make good economic sense — let the authors of this mess explain why their buses don’t run any more.